Thursday, March 13, 2008

perspective.


i am a giant snot. i spend most of my time on etsy looking at other people's stuff, and if it's remotely like mine, i get all catty and jealous. it hasn't escaped me that i do, artistically, what a LOT of other people do (hence the glut of jewelry artists on etsy). i'm constantly thinking of things to do to set myself apart from the pack, and i suck at the follow-through.

today i saw an etsy shop that stopped me in my tracks. foundling.etsy.com. go there if you haven't already; her stuff is amazing, and it's clear that she's having fun creating. she's carved herself a niche that i thought i was trying to carve myself. i need to work on my niche. moreover, i need to stop creating with the intent to sell... have more fun with my work and remember why i spend so much on beads. or, as JB says, stop measuring myself against other people.

all of that being said, i'm having a SHOW on saturday. i'm excited and stressed and nervous and i don't have enough snacks. but i'm having it because people ASKED me to have one. i feel so honored. i really do. and i've had people ask me to set aside stuff before then. it's going to be fun. and maybe i'll get inspired by my guests.

No comments: